Magda Freedom Rod is an environmentalist and lifestyle guide. Through her website Visionary-Lifestyle.com, she helps people achieve their highest potential with conscious eating, yoga and meditation. If you’ve not listened to them yet, check out episodes 24 and 74 where Magda talks about the environmental impact of factory farming, why she is passionate about being a vegan, her e-course Conscious Eating and how to set new intentions for Spring.
Earth Day is an opportunity to love Mother Earth and be thankful for all that she provides. “99.9% of people don’t make the connection that their food choices impact the environment in a major way.” Concern for the planet’s health is what first made Magda switch to a plant based diet. She loves Earth Day and helping people to think about their reducing their impact on the planet.
What is one thing that we can do to start reducing our carbon footprint and take care of Mother Earth? “Three simple words: Eat More Plants. The more plants you eat, the less meat you eat, and the lighter your footprint on the planet.” Thanks to documentaries such as Cowspiracy (if you’ve not seen this, we highly recommend it!) more and more people are becoming aware of the destructive impact of intensive agriculture. The word is getting out! Going vegan is not just good for the body, it’s good for the planet too.
Magda talked us through just some of the factors that make intensive animal farming so detrimental to Mother Earth:
- Climate change: Animal agriculture is the leading cause of climate change, which is the biggest threat to human survival. The methane from the cows and the deforestation of the rainforest for cattle grazing are the two main factors at play. And grass fed cows are just as guilty, if not more—they produce 40-60% more methane!
- Overfishing: In 90% of the oceans, big fish are gone. We’re fishing at unsustainable rates and the ocean simply isn’t replenishing. What’s more, for every pound of seafood, there are 5 pounds of bi-kill (whales, dolphins, sea turtles, endangered species that are caught in the nets at the same time.)
- Pollution: Toxic waste from animal farms leeches into the soil and contaminates ground water. We were shocked by this video showing animal feces being sprayed into the environment.
- Species extinction through habitat destruction: A perfect example is the cute koala, which will be extinct by 2030 because it’s home is being cleared out to make space for… grass fed cattle! A great film to watch is Racing Extinction by Louie Psihoyos.
- Amazon rainforest destruction: The lungs of the planet are being destroyed at the crazy rate of an acre a second! 91% of the Amazon has been decimated for animal agriculture.
- Fresh water: It takes 2500-5000 gallons of water to produce a pound of beef. 50% of the water in the US is used for animal agriculture. Is that a sustainable practice on a planet plagued with drought? We don’t think so!! Especially when a pound of quinoa, rice, greens or hemp can be produced using under 150 gallons of water.
We are facing a frightening situation, and yet if everyone switched to a plant-based diet, Mother Earth would regenerate itself. “Our personal choices are actually really powerful,” says Magda. The more people are inspired to eat more plants and less animals, the faster the world can heal.
Magda’s six-week program Conscious Eating 101 contains all the resources you need to start loving both yourself and Mother Earth. With recipes, videos, homework and books you can deepen your knowledge and transition into a healthier plant based diet. Be part of the solution. Honor Mother Earth and eat more plants!
Magda Freedom Rod’s Bio:
Magda has been a health and environmental advocate and educator for over a decade. She routinely blogs for top publications about health and environmental sustainability. Magda has been on the cutting edge of health and sustainability issues. Magda teaches, yoga, meditation and Conscious Eating in an effort to help raise awareness about simple ways for us all to improve ourselves and make a more positive impact on the planet. “I created this course out of a deep desire to help raise awareness about possible solutions to many of the world’s largest problems. I believe in leaving a place better than I found it. I deeply cherish and honor this beautiful gift of my own body temple as well as the planet, and I hope you do too. We can all be part of the solution on a daily basis, through our food choices. Thank you for joining me on this journey to a healthier you and planet.”
Magda Freedom Rod founded Visionary in 2007. Visionary Lifestyle is a resource for people to learn how to activate their highest potential. Healing the world begins with healing ourselves. Our approach is visionary, holistic ,and sustainable. She is here to help guide people who would like to up level their health and wellness and lead a more sustainable, balanced, healthy and fulfilling lifestyle .
Whether you are suffering from a disease, looking to prevent developing one, or simply need guidance around sustainable health and wellness, Magada is here to guide you every step of the way.
“It is my honor to help you activate your highest potential by empowering you with the knowledge and tools that will transform your life and in turn, the world!”
Magda Freedom Rod’s Links
Our Favorite Moments:
@13:43 If everyone went vegetarian overnight, what positive impact would that have?
@27:57 F**k that – don’t eat meat.
@29:25 Hemp hemp hooray!
(Click to tweet)
This episode is sponsored by:
Healing Cancer In This Century: Today Show is sponsored by the conference Healing Cancer in this Century which is an online Summit that is completely free for you. Century Summit bridges the gap between modern integrative medical science mind-body connection energy healing science and spiritual science. Carlos Caridad is the host of Healing Cancer in the Century, he traveled around the world in search for new answers for cancer bringing about the best speakers from Europe, Asia and the Americas so don’t miss this opportunity to learn for free from over 40 a life-changing speakers and Educators. It’s so important to sign up now at FoodHealsNation.com/healingcancer next week is the full launch of the summit. You’ll receive seven different interviews per day and the interviews will be available for Replay for 48 hours. There are some amazing speakers on modern integrative Cancer Treatments from incredible doctors like Dr. Thomas Lodi and energy healers like Star Fuentes and even a speech from naturopathic oncology Dr. Adam McLeod. Go to FoodHealsNation.com/healingcancer to find out how to sign up absolutely free.
Links from show:
An Inconvenient Truth documentary
- FactoryFarmDrone video exposes the polluting practices at industrial pig farms.
- Learn more about your real Omega 3 requirements – listen to Episode 70 with Dr.McDougall.
- Magda’s article about Omega 3
- Magda will be speaking on Conscious Eating101 in the Temple of Consciousness, plus giving a recipe demonstration at the Lightening in a Bottle Festival in Bradley, California, on Labor Day Weekend 25 to 30 May. Find out more at lighteninginabottle.org.
Follow the Food Heals Podcast on Twitter
Follow the Food Heals Podcast on Instagram
Like the Food Heals Podcast on Facebook
Subscribe to the Food Heals Podcast on iTunes
Being hailed as “Sex and the City for Food,” The Food Heals Podcast brings together experts in the field of nutrition, health and healing to teach you the best-kept natural secrets to being a hotter, healthier, happier YOU!
The Food Heals Podcast is hosted by Allison Melody and Suzy Hardy – two self-proclaimed natural chicks who will rock your world and change your beliefs about health! This sexy, savvy duo provides eco-friendly advice on a variety of issues including the healing power of nutrition, living authentically, turning your passion into your career, choosing the best natural health and beauty products, the benefits of a plant-based diet and so much more!