Every second, 300 animals are killed for food. These animals are the ghosts of our food machine. Tortured, exploited, abused and murdered, farm animals are voiceless and unable to defend themselves which is why we need to stand up for them. That’s exactly what today’s guest, Nathan Runkle, has dedicated his life to doing. Listen now!
No one would stand by and watch a puppy or kitten get slammed head first into the ground yet that’s exactly what happens to piglets. It’s considered a standard agricultural practice and as such, is exempt from animal cruelty charges. The law doesn’t provide protection for “food animals” however, the only difference between pets and animals for slaughter is our perception. Some are simply unfortunate enough to be born as a species that society says doesn’t matter.
Nathan grew up on a farm in a small town. At 15 years old, after witnessing the brutal murder of a piglet, he founded Mercy for Animals. He started by carrying out open rescues: going into farms’ undercover and rescuing injured animals. Trawling through manure pits, witnessing first-hand the cruel conditions, and investigating the horror of slaughterhouses made him even more determined to give animals a voice and drive positive change in the world.
Today, Mercy for Animals is an internationally recognized organization dedicated to animal rights and putting an end to the cruel and unsustainable factory farming industry. Let’s face it, slaughterhouses don’t have a place in a humane, peaceful world. In order for us to survive as a species, we need to switch to a plant-based diet.
The good news is that on top of a growing vegan movement, cellular agriculture is growing quickly—it won’t be too long before clean meat (meat without murder) makes it to supermarket shelves!
Nathan has just written a book entitled “Mercy for Animals” to inspire people to take action on behalf of farm animals. It tells the story of the unsung heroes of the animal advocacy movement who risk their lives, physical safety and emotional wellbeing to shine a light in some of the darkest places in our society. This book will empower you and show you how you can make a difference to animals and help create a kinder, more sustainable world.
Get involved! Here are some of Nathan’s tips for animal advocacy:
- How you can live your own values to the fullest? How can you embody loving compassion and respect?
- Adopt a vegan diet—it’s the best thing to do to help the planet and the animals.
- How can you be more proactive in driving change?
- Get involved in animal rights: animals can’t lobby for new laws; we need to do that for them. Check out Mercy for Animals for initiatives.
- Use social media to spread information, hold companies accountable, and demand change.
- Find your own unique voice; use your own perspective and talents to drive change for animals.
- Make donations. Money is energy. Taking on the 1 trillion-dollar global meat industry takes resources. Animal rights organizations need support.
What you’ll learn in Episode 177:
- The watershed moment that led Nathan to start Mercy for Animals
- The link between slaughterhouses and crime rates
- Why self-care is vital for animal advocates
- Why the animal rights movement needs to be rooted in love and kindness
- How innovation will save our future
- Why slaughterhouse meat is “dirty”
- What clean meat tastes like
- Why vegan food increases compassion
- An incredible story of animal bravery and heroism
- The similarity between LGBT rights and animal rights
- The many ways you can have a positive impact on the planet
Our favorite moments:
@19:20 There’s a lot of love and joy and light and beauty
@21:10 Make the world a better place
@27:30 World’s first clean meatball
@40:35 What matters to you in life?
@44:24 Separation is an illusion
@57:11 A lot of hustle
Vegan Music Festival: Circle V
Support the vegan movement by heading to the Circle V vegan music festival in Downtown Los Angeles on November 18th. Everything from vegan food, non-alcoholic kombucha, beer garden, flame throwing, music by Moby, and hundreds of plant-powered speakers including Nathan, Kip Anderson (of Cowspiracy), Rich Roll, and some of our favorite podcast guests. It’s going to be a fantastic event so get your tickets at CircleV.com and join us!
Holiday Discount Codes
The holiday season has arrived! It’s never too early to start shopping for yourself and your loved ones. We’ve put together a great list of discount codes on our favorite organic, vegan gifts. We’ll be revealing the best natural products to help you effortlessly glide into the new year looking and feeling healthy and beautiful. Don’t miss our November and December episodes where we’ll be sharing all this and more!
Conscious Consulting: Get Ready to Take Your Business to the Next Level
For a limited time Allison is opening up her consulting services to Food Heals Nation. If you have a transformational story, have an idea you want to turn into a business, or if you want to level-up your entrepreneurial endeavors, Conscious Consulting can help! Reach out and let’s see if it’s a fit. Check out www.foodhealsnation.com/workwithme for more info!
Being hailed as “Sex and the City for Food,” The Food Heals Podcast brings together experts in the field of nutrition, health and healing to teach you the best-kept natural secrets to being a hotter, healthier, happier YOU!
The Food Heals Podcast is hosted by Allison Melody and Suzy Hardy – two self-proclaimed natural chicks who will rock your world and change your beliefs about health! This sexy, savvy duo provides eco-friendly advice on a variety of issues including the healing power of nutrition, living authentically, turning your passion into your career, choosing the best natural health and beauty products, the benefits of a plant-based diet and so much more!