Dr. Stephen Cabral is back on the podcast to talk how to restore the body in just 12 weeks. And it just might involve some detoxing…
For a proper introduction to Dr. Cabral, check out Episode 186 where he shares how he healed himself, explains intermittent fasting, detoxing and Ayurvedic medicine, and shows how he uses these to help people go from chronic pain, depression and disease to a state of vitality and happiness.
Here’s a quick refresher on natural methods to better understand why Dr. Cabral’s system is so transformative!
What is Disease?
A simplified way to look at disease is this: people either get sick because of toxicity, or because of deficiency. If we can address the deficiencies (by supplementing vitamins, minerals, amino acids, etc.) and begin to remove the toxicities (such as excess hormones, plastics, etc.), we can heal anything!
Western Medicine vs Functional Medicine
Unfortunately, the goal of conventional Western medicine is not to get better. It just addresses the symptoms. High cholesterol is just a symptom (or sign) that there is a deeper issue, like an auto-immune condition or excess toxins. Conventional medicine will prescribe drugs to manage the symptoms BUT NOT GET THE ROOT CAUSE.
They might make you feel a bit better in the short term, but they don’t provide long-term benefits. On the other hand, functional medicine will look at what might be causing the condition, and help you bring your body back into a state of healthy balance. That said, if you’re suffering a heart attack, you’re better off heading to the emergency room rather than your natural health doctor!
Your Health and The Rain Barrel Effect
Your body is in a constant state of homeostasis: it is always trying to return to a healthy balance. This means that it can take lots of stress, junk food, and toxins before diseases finally show up in your blood tests. It’s what Dr. Cabral calls the “rain barrel effect,” which is also the title of his best-selling book.
Your rain barrel is essentially your toxic load. If it’s overflowing, your health suffers. You need to empty it out – clear your toxicity – in order to bring your body back into balance.
How to Heal Your Body
According to Dr. Cabral, you can heal anything within 12 to 16 weeks (3-4 months). That’s because all your red blood cells turn over every 90-120 days (also 3-4 months). As this happens, your mitochondria (your cells’ energy stores) are replenished with nutrients. This means more energy and fewer symptoms!
Diet is a huge part of that journey, but you need a holistic approach. Addressing food without overcoming emotional trauma just won’t work.
A lot of our diseases come from our emotions.
Where to Begin?
A great way to find out what is happening in your body is to have functional tests done. These will look at markers that conventional medicine usually ignores to give you a complete picture of what is going on with your health right now. You can order these tests on Dr. Cabral’s online store. Dr. Cabral will read through them and you’ll get a phone call from one of his team’s health coaches to discuss the results.
Dr. Cabral’s Weight Loss and Detox Tips:
- Forget about crash diets or regimes, they are not sustainable and don’t work long term.
- Crowd out the bad foods with nourishing foods (plant based whole foods are your friends here).
- Don’t graze all day long, allow your body 4-5 hours between meals to give your cortisol levels a chance to level out.
- Reset your circadian rhythm – your body detoxifies from around 10pm.
- Eat foods that support your liver detoxification (like cruciferous veg: broccoli, kale, etc.).
- Try Dr. Cabral’s detox shakes or his detox protocol.
Dr. Cabral and Leslie Durso’s Healthy Travel Tips:
- Get your antibacterial wipes and wipe everything around you – planes are never cleaned.
- Get a good night’s sleep before your flight.
- Avoid alcohol, coffee or tea on the plane, and drink a lot of water (that said, a glass of wine will help you sleep on those super long flights).
- Ramp up your immune system a few days before: take plenty of vitamin c, zinc and green juices.
- Fast so that your energy can be focused on protecting your body from germs and toxins (like flame retardants and bug sprays) rather than digesting food.
- Never eat airplane food – it’s microwaved and full of preservatives.
- Bring your own health supplements.
What you’ll learn in Episode 201:
- Why there is no space for ego in medicine
- Why you need more than one doctor
- Acute-based vs chronic-based illness, and which doctor to go to
- Why running your blood work isn’t enough
- Why you get allergies and what you can do to get rid of them today
- The best alcohol you can consume for health (seriously!)
- Dr. Cabral’s big 5 things to watch out for in terms of health
- Best vegan sources of omega 3
- The difference between a healthy craving and an unhealthy craving and how you can tell
- Why you’re not really a night owl and how to reset your circadian rhythm
- The perfect ways to start and end your day
- The difference between a detox and a cleanse
- What weight gain and high toxicity have in common
Our favorite moments:
@14:45 You can heal anything in just 12 to 16 weeks!
@16:49 Red wine replacement therapy!
@26:23 What is the future of medicine?
@30:50 I don’t believe in disease.
@42:30 Mind-blowing fact about sleep habits.
@53:25 Dr. Cabral’s detox strategies.
StephenCabral.com/store (labs & supplements used in Dr. Cabral’s practice)
Only a Few Spots Left on Our Italian Vegan Getaway
We’re going to Italy in under a month!! We can’t wait to be there with you.
Join us for a full immersion into Italian culture and lifestyle – vegan style! Give yourself the gift of a week away to slow down, relax, reset, and share a life-changing retreat with a group of likeminded women. We’ll be hiking, swimming (in the infinity pool), boating, and, of course, eating (vegan gelato anyone?). You can turn off your phone (except for taking Instagram photos of course!), leave your laptop to one side, and fully indulge in a week of complete relaxation.