Food is fundamental to health—it is the primary thing that makes us sick or well. And that’s also true for our brain! Yes, that’s right, food heals—the body and the mind! Today’s guest totally gets that. While most doctors simply don’t care about nutrition, Dr. Masley is one of the rare MD’s to take it seriously. Right from the start, he knew that if he wanted to make a real difference to his patients’ lives, he needed to do more than simply tell them how many grams of fat or fiber to eat: he had to share recipes that are delicious, easy to prepare, and that nourish the heart, brain and soul. He’s our kind of M.D.! Listen now!
Dr. Masley is a physician, nutritionist, chef and creator of the number 1 health program 30 Days to a Younger Heart. He’s also authored the books 10 Years Younger, 30 Day Heart Tune-Up, and The Better Brain Solution. His goal is to help people improve their brain health, reduce cognitive decline, and feel better than ever.
Having witnessed the devastating impact of memory loss on his family, Dr. Masley is on a mission to stop it from affecting more people. His latest book, The Better Brain Solution, shares lifestyle strategies that are proven to make your brain younger, sharper, quicker and more productive.
Here are some of Dr. Masley’s brain-boosting tips:
- Make sure you add these foods to your diet:
- Plant pigments: Colorful fruits and vegetables (like blueberries, leafy greens, beetroot, etc.), cacao, matcha green tea, organic coffee (in moderation – 2 cups a day), and red wine (also in moderation!).
- Smart fats: If you’re on a low-fat diet, stop! Your brain is made up of 60% fat, so you need smart fats to keep it functioning at its best. Good sources include nuts, seeds, olive oil, and avocados. Also take an omega 3 DHA supplement.
- Herbs and spices: These are packed with anti-inflammatories and anti-oxidants which fight free radicals and keep your brain young. The best combinations are Italian herbs (like rosemary, basil, oregano, etc.) and curry spices (like turmeric, cumin, fenugreek, etc.).
- Probiotics: Your gut is your second brain. Most of the neurotransmitters needed for proper cognitive function are made in your digestive system, so keep it healthy by including gut-friendly foods like miso, sauerkraut, and kombucha.
- Avoid the following foods:
- Refined carbohydrates (sugar, flour): These carbs hike up your blood sugar and are the number one cause of memory loss!
- Nitrosamines: These are preservatives used in processed meats like bacon, hot dogs, sausages, etc. They are neurotoxic, and increase your risk of cancer and diabetes.
- Tuna and large fish: They’re high in mercury, which is toxic to our brains!
- Make sure you add these foods to your diet:
- Physical exercise: Both aerobic exercise and strength training are essential to keep your brain young.
- Mental exercise: Never stop learning! Gaining new skills, taking classes and feeding your brain with knowledge creates more neural connections and improves your brain speed.
- Stress actually shrinks your brain! When you’re stressed, your cortisol levels go up, and this raises your blood sugar which increases your risk of artery plaque and heart disease. Take some time out every day to meditate, make sure you get proper sleep, and do something that makes you feel good. Romance and sex are good for both your heart and your brain!
Doing all of these things not only boosts your brain but also even prevents Alzheimer’s disease – the sixth leading cause of death in the United States
If you want to improve your cognitive health, there’s no better place to start than Dr. Masley’s brain quiz. It only takes 90 seconds, and you’ll get his Better Brain Solution Shopping List! Don’t wait until you have symptoms: take action today to protect your brain, prevent Alzheimer’s and keep it fit and healthy for years to come.
What you’ll learn in Episode 187:
- The foods that make your brain 11 years younger
- The number one thing you can do to protect your brain
- Diet habits that cause brain fog
- One vegetable that does wonders for your sex life
- Which foods literally shut off your brain
- The best oils to cook with (hint: it isn’t coconut oil!)
- Two surprise superfoods that boost your brain power
- How to assess your memory
- Top tips to prevent Alzheimer’s
- The best exercises to keep your brain in great shape
Our favorite moments:
@13:59 You’re speaking our language!
@15:50 Super sexy.
@16:20 This is new information!
@41:28 We want to have fun.
@45:47 Don’t forget the dark chocolate.
January 21st: Join Us At Sundance!
We’re so excited to be going to Sundance, the US’s largest indie film festival! We’ll be interviewing documentary filmmakers who are using cinema to make the world a healthier place. Join us on January 21st for a social network mixer, cocktail party and panel discussion from 1.30pm to 4pm. Tickets are free!
June 2nd to 9th: The Ultimate Vegan Italian Getaway – Come to the Amalfi Coast With Us!
Who’s coming to the Amalfi coast with us? Infinity pools, Italian food, wine, pizza, vegan cheffing, nature walks, and soul connections that will last a lifetime… Are you coming? There are only 6 spots left so make sure you sign up and register your interest at www.foodhealsnation.com/italy. Here are just some of the fabulous things you’ll enjoy on our ultimate vegan getaway (download the brochure for more!):
- Exploring the stunning Amalfi coast, Ravello, the Duomo, gardens and historical church (don’t worry, this isn’t like a tour group where you’re forced to tag along, you have total flexibility—if you want to take it easy, you can!)
- Espresso and olive oil tastings
- Hike to Santa Croce beach
- Visiting the local farmer’s market
- Learning vegan recipes with the fabulous Leslie Durso
- Nature walk to the Path of the Gods
- Lunch on the beach
- Homemade face scrubs, hot and cold therapy, chill out in the infinity pool
- Vegan tasting dinner curated by Leslie herself
- Boat ride along the coast
- And of course, plenty of time to relax, connect, and enjoy everything this gorgeous part of Italy has to offer. We can’t wait to see you there!
Being hailed as “Sex and the City for Food,” The Food Heals Podcast brings together experts in the field of nutrition, health and healing to teach you the best-kept natural secrets to being a hotter, healthier, happier YOU!
The Food Heals Podcast is hosted by Allison Melody and Suzy Hardy – two self-proclaimed natural chicks who will rock your world and change your beliefs about health! This sexy, savvy duo provides eco-friendly advice on a variety of issues including the healing power of nutrition, living authentically, turning your passion into your career, choosing the best natural health and beauty products, the benefits of a plant-based diet and so much more!