What does it mean to cleanse? For many, the word conjures up images of green juices and fasting. But that’s not quite accurate. You can cleanse in a gentler way. But you also need to go beyond diet if you want to really reset your body.
Elissa Goodman looks 20 years younger than her age (59) – and you might think she’s just been blessed with great genes. But she was not the healthiest child. She had a low immune system and was always sick. She got every type of virus (tonsillitis, chickenpox, chronic fatigue) To make matters worse, she felt unworthy compared to her high-achieving, Type-A personality parents.
So Elissa went to college, got into advertising, and climbed that corporate ladder because she was determined to make her parents proud. But she wasn’t following her passion or purpose. She just worked. And got sicker. And one day she was diagnosed with Hodgkin’s lymphoma.
She knew that this was because she’d been sick most of her life and that her lymphatic system was full of toxins that she’d been unable to clear. But she hadn’t thought of the emotional aspect. Most of the doctors she saw first just talked of chemo and freezing her eggs. But one of them was different. He sat her down and asked her – Are you happy? Are you doing what you love? It was a turning point.
Elissa realized how miserable she’d been in her job and how much she disliked herself. She knew something had to change.
She went 100% vegan, started doing yoga, went into talk therapy, and started doing emotional release work. She got rid of her cancer, but the radiation caused hypothyroidism. Then she was diagnosed with Hashimoto’s and celiac (two autoimmune conditions). And then her husband died of cancer. It was like a cascade of traumatic life events. That’s when she decided to go back to school and learn about nutrition so she could help her daughters stay healthy.
And that was it – she never looked back. She became a cleanse expert to help as many people as possible get healthy the easy way. Like her 1-week soup cleanse, which contains 45 different vegetables, is totally vegan and free from anything processed or GMO. She helps her clients to reset their body and brain so they can rejuvenate, re-energize, heal, and maintain a new, healthy lifestyle long-term.
Here are some of Elissa’s tips to reset your body:
- Juicing – a fantastic way to get all those vitamins straight into your cells
- Smoothies – packed with healthy fiber to cleanse your digestive system
- Veggies, Veggies, And More Veggies – the more vegetables, the better (especially dandelion greens, cruciferous veg, and celery)
- Quality Superfood Powder – (Elissa loves Pure Synergy Juice Powder)
But don’t forget that cleansing is emotional as well as nutritional. Have you dealt with your trauma? Because no matter how clean your diet, you can still get sick if you have emotional issues you haven’t dealt with. Here are Elissa’s tips to start letting go of those trauma toxins:
- Find a good energy healer – you hold a lot of negative energy (toxins) in your cells (Get in touch with Elissa if you’d like to know who she has worked with).
- Identify what trauma you experienced in your first 7 years.
- Ask yourself whether you’re truly happy with your career / partner / friends / family.
- Check out books like Mind over Medicine and Radical Remission to learn how to release trauma.
- Try a meditation app like Unplug.
- Journal about what you want to let go – first thing in the morning and last thing at night.
- Cultivate self-love – that is one thing that’s missing from most of our lives.
- Send love to your inner child.
And don’t forget to —
- Go to Elissa’s website to join her cleanse programs!
- Read Elissa’s books Cancer Hacks and Auto-immune Hacks (how Elissa overcame cancer, Hashimoto’s and celiac disease).
- Sign up to Elissa’s 7-day reset program.
Is there something interfering with your happiness or preventing you from achieving your goals?
Betterhelp will assess your needs and match you to affordable online private counseling with a licensed professional therapist.
This isn’t a crisis line (or self-help) but professional counseling that’s done securely online.
Some of the other benefits of Betterhelp?
- The service is available for clients worldwide.
- You can login to your account anytime and send a message to your counselor
- You can go from sign up to first session in under 24 hours
We encourage you to visit betterhelp.com/foodheals and join the over 500,000(!) people talking charge of their mental health with professional help from anywhere with an internet conneciton. You’ll get 10% off your first month by following the link.
What you’ll learn in Episode 275:
- Can you be sexy in your 50’s?
- What causes Hodgkin’s lymphoma?
- The science behind why you crave sugar, dairy and gluten
- How to detox from addictive foods
- Why you need to cleanse regularly
- How intermittent fasting helps reset your body
- Juicing vs. smoothies – which is best?
- The most powerful vegetables for detoxing
- The emotional part of detoxing
- How to recognize you have unresolved emotions
- Are you experiencing resistance to emotional healing?
Our favorite moments:
@5:42 They scare the shit out of you
@16:08 That is so wild!
@34:32 Girl’s gotta do the work
@36:59 Everything changed in my life
@47:26 That’s where the magic happens
Available anywhere you listen to podcasts!
And so many more!